O Come, O Come, Emmanuel: The "O Antiphons" of Advent
The “O Antiphons” of Advent
In the evening prayer of the Church, prior to Christmas, the O Antiphons are prayed which use a specific name of the Messiah. Listed below is the antiphon for each day. Why not try to meditate on each of these names each day, in preparation for Christmas?
• December 17 - O Wisdom, O holy Word of God, you govern all creation with your strong yet tender care: Come and show your people the way to salvation.
• December 18 - O Sacred Lord of ancient Israel, who showed yourself to Moses in the burning bush, who gave him the holy law on Sinai mountain: Come, stretch out your mighty hand to set us free.
• December 19 - O Flower of Jesse’s stem, you have been raised up as a sign for all peoples; kings stand silent in your presence; the nations bow down in worship before you. Come, let nothing keep you from coming to our aid.
• December 20 - Key of David, O royal Power of Israel, controlling at your will the gate of heaven: Come, break down the prison walls of death for those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death; and lead your captive people into freedom.
• December 21 - O Radiant Dawn, splendor of eternal light, sun of justice: Come, shine on those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death.
• December 22 - O King of all the nations, the only joy of every human heart; O Keystone of the mighty arch of man: Come and save the creature you fashioned from the dust.
• December 23 - O Emmanuel, king and lawgiver, desire of the nations, Savior of all people: Come and set us free, Lord our God.
The Benedictine monks arranged these antiphons with a definite purpose. If one starts with the last title and takes the first letter of each one - Emmanuel, Rex, Oriens, Clavis, Radix, Adonai, Sapientia - the Latin words ero cras are formed, meaning, “Tomorrow, I will come.”
Saint Of The Day
Check out information on the Saint of the day!
|Show All »
PARISH OFFICE HOURS
8:30-4:30 Monday - Friday
(Closed Dec. 24-26, closed at noon on Dec. 31, closed Jan. 1 & 2)
The parish offices are located at 4462 Mt. Carmel Tobasco Rd. across the street from Church in the Ministry Center.
Saturday, 4:00 p.m.
Sunday, 8:00 a.m., 9:30 a.m., & 11:30 a.m.
Christmas Eve Masses Dec. 24 3, 5:30 & 11 p.m.
Christmas Day Mass Dec. 25 9:30 a.m.
Solemnity of Mary Vigil Mass Dec. 31 4 p.m.
Solemnity of Mary Mass Jan. 1 9:30 a.m.
WEEKDAY & HOLY DAY LITURGIES
Mass is celebrated Monday, Tuesday, Thursday at 7:30 a.m. in the Chapel
Wednesday - 9:00 a.m. School Mass (when in session) otherwise at 7:30 a.m.
There is Mass at 7:30 a.m. on the First Friday of each month, other Fridays will have Liturgy of the Word with Communion.
Wednesday & Saturday - 7:30 a.m. Liturgy of the Word with Communion
Confessions are heard on Saturday from 2:30-3:30 p.m. in the chapel, OR by appointment.
Mass on a Civic Holiday is celebrated at 9 a.m.